Sunday, January 29, 2012

Sunday River Ski Mountain

 
photos from gallery

The Sunday River Ski Resort offers some of the best skiing in New England. The rest of the story is a tad disappointing for those longing for luxe skiing even remotely resembling Vail or Aspen. Being the ski addict that I am, I do grieve this sad state of affairs. 

This past summer (2011) I checked out the Jordan Grand resort and stopped in briefly at the Grand Summit. The Jordan Grand surpasses the Grand Summit as far as atmosphere and possibly some amenities are concerned. However, getting to it was something of an adventure. The little road leading up to the JG hotel winds around interminably.This feeling of being lost forever was compounded by the fact that there were absolutely NO signs. I just kept seeing very large power poles and a golf cart path here and there. Just enough of a hint to keep me going. The kiddos and I ate an early dinner at the Sliders restaurant. The view was lovely and a couple large pots of red geraniums out on the deck helped. But I will admit that I didn't exactly feel swept away.

I also toured one of their 3 bedroom suites with a small porch and ski-in accessibility to a slope.....not sure how accessible the slope actually is to the hotel though. The rooms were quite comfortable and spacious, but far from what would be considered luxurious. It's great for families and my kids were quite enthused over it. Just keep in mind that it's long on the laminate, linoleum, dark pile carpet and square tiles....and not the greatest lighting. It's noticeably absent of any marble, granite, and upscale decor. It does provide an outdoor heated pool and jacuzzi along with a workout area and spa facilities. But even those are rather utilitarian. The general feeling  for me was that of a  very nicely appointed dormitory. Suffice it to say that at least in my (I'm sure it's considered snobbish) opinion, Maine is in dire need of some super-posh super funding in the ski resort department. We need an angel....preferably a very wealthy skiing one!

No comments:

Post a Comment